What if I Want to Exclude a Child From Inheriting?

Apr 16, 2019

If I want to exclude a child from inheriting from me, do I need to say that in my will or trust? The answer depends upon the laws of the state where you live when you die. If you are an Ohio resident, you need only acknowledge that that child exists and do not need to leave them any amount. However, a safer approach may be to name the child but indicate that you are intentionally leaving nothing to him or her. That topic, as well as the use of a “No Contest” clause, should be discussed with a knowledgeable and experienced estate planning attorney.

-Attorney Jack N. Alpern

Page Tools

  • Share this page SHARE
  • Print Friendly and PDF

Other Articles You May Find Useful

Who Should be the Trustee?
Is there a chance that the 5-year “Look-back” period could ever be changed for Medicaid qualification?
Is it a Good Idea to Discuss My Estate Plan with My Children?
Are my Retirement Funds at Risk?
If I’m in a Second Marriage, Do I Need Just a Simple Will For My Estate Plan?
Is Long-Term Care Insurance a Good Investment?

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>